Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Get Well Soon, Potions and Bonus!

Happy Tuesday everyone!

What is it about Tuesday that always makes me think it is Wednesday. I think it is because our trash day just recently changed from Wed. to Tues. I guess I am just so used to it, it is going to take me awhile to adjust.

Well today Izzy had her 18 month checkup. We are so fortunate to have found a wonderful pediatrician. The bad part is, she just changed offices and now she is about 40 to 45 minutes away. That is okay though because I am not switching, it was too hard finding her. So we went to the office and everything was okay, the nurse showed us into the exam room and you would have thought I was killing her. Izzy started screaming. They could hardly get an accurate weight or length on her. She was freaking out! I finally got her calmed down and our wonderful doctor came in and examined her, which got her a little bit more riled up. But to top it all off, she didn't even get any shots! I almost felt like telling them to give her one so at least her fit wouldn't have been for naught. As we were leaving though she was all smiles, laughing and waving at the doctor and nurses. What a giant con artist!

Some more exciting personal news, we are getting new siding on our house. I know that isn't very exciting for you all, but it will be for us. It is really going to freshen and warm up our house. It definitely needs it.

So today was a pretty dismal day and we found out last night that my mother-in-law isn't feeling very well. This put me in the mood of wanting a soft and cozy card. I was on SCS yesterday and saw the new Monday Who's that Girl Challenge. It is paper piecing (my favorite) with the Meet Me at the Cafe set. I just recently paper pieced a card with this set and considering my recent mood and my mother-in-law's illness, I decided to use the Bunny Slippers set instead.


Doesn't it make you just want to curl up with some warm chicken noodle soup? I really wanted to challenge myself with this card and stick with two main colors, blue and yellow. It is not my usual choice of colors, but I appreciate how well they go together. I also wanted to use white as a background especially since I find it hard to work with. I don't know why. I started off with a light blue card stock as my card base and then embossed a piece of white card stock with my swirl embossing folder. I then stamped the main image from Bunny Slippers on a piece of whisper white, a piece of bashful blue DP and a piece of apricot appeal DP. I colored in the girl's skin with my stampin' write markers and pieced the robe and slippers together. I then added yellow flocking to the collar, cuffs, pockets, belt and bunny slippers. I then mounted it to a piece of apricot appeal DP and bashful blue DP that I positioned at angles. I added some faux stitching with my white gel pen. I stamped the larger bunny slippers on a piece of whisper white, colored them in with my markers, added flocking to the ears and distress the edges with bashful blue. I then cut it out along with two other pieces of DP with my oval and scalloped oval nestabilities. I attached them with an eyelet and threaded through a piece of ribbon. I completed the card with three blue buttons down the side. I hope that my mother-in-law can find some comfort in this card.

The next project was done completely for fun. I am planning on making it one of our door prizes at the Halloween party. The great news is that it was so quick and easy to make.


I started off by picking up a locking glass jar from Michaels. Guess what? They are only a buck. How great is that?! So then I stamped Potions and Spells by Lockhart Stamp Company on a piece of very vanilla. I colored it in using my prisma color pencils and added some crystal effects to the crystal ball. I then cut out a fun scallop on each edge and mounted it on a piece of Halloween DP and mimicked the edge design on the DP. I distressed the label with basic brown ink and attached it to the jar with a piece of black ribbon. I then stamped the Toe of Frog jar from Totally Witchin' by MFT, colored it in, added crystal effects, mounted it on a piece of perfect plum and tied it onto the label. I finished up the jar with a circular piece of Halloween DP that I attached to the lid and distressed. See, I told you, quick and easy!

And now for the Bonus! It is IZZYYYYYYYY!!!! Yeah!!!!


Isn't she cute. Our future star!

Have a great rest of the evening and thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

Jason Core Dumpter said...

Who is that rock star with the sunglasses?!?

Good job on the card and the jar. Both turned out awesome!

Paula Still said...

Sondra will love the card ... and don't forget to send her the chicken soup. My prayers are with her and I hope she gets to feeling well, soon.

Love the potions party-favor. I'm working on your dad, so we may come yet. I told him we just have to go so I can win all your adorable gifts!!