Friday, November 14, 2008

Two for one and It's an Ornament I tell you!

Happy Friday!!! Yeah!!

Well this is supposedly the last day of our heat wave, and by heat wave I mean temps in the fifties. I guess tomorrow is supposed to be only in the thirties and tonight it might even snow. I love the first snow, but I actually have some things to do tomorrow, so I really don't want to have to get out in it. Don't you hate getting out after the first snow? It seems like everybody forgets how to drive. Hopefully it will hold off until Sunday when I don't have to go anywhere.

Well I found out today that my dad got glasses!! My mom says he looks very dashing in them. It really is only fair since all the rest of us have had to wear them for so long. I guess he isn't able to see things far off as well as he used to. I heard though that they are super cool and even have clip on sunglasses, but not the hokey kind that just latch over the top, super cool, super neato ones that are actually magnetized. Man, mine aren't that fancy. I just have plain ones that without the ultra light, ultra thin lenses, would look like coke bottles. lol! I am so jealous!!

Well Izzy has been more back to normal today. She has been running around the house, playing with Tuxy, coloring in her book and wearing her little apron. Man she loves that thing! And, she made me discover something about myself that I think I would have rather not known! Today, I had on the radio, which I do just about everyday, when I asked her to dance with me. (Sometimes I break out into spontaneous dancing just for fun.) Well, she stood there, and as my neighbor Beth said, moved her arm around like she was riding a bucking bronco. She didn't move her body at all, just her arm. Is that how I dance?!!!! Oh my gosh, how embarrassing! I am going to have to take lessons or something so that she doesn't' become a horrible dancer like me.

Okay, on to something I am good at. So today, I wanted to try to make two different cards using the same layout and and same stamp, but with different colors. I incorporated a couple of challenges into this one. I used the sketch challenge over at Taylored Expressions. I also incorporated today's Limited Supplies Challenge over at SCS to only use acrylic stamps. Well since it seems like I have a million of them, I was more than happy to compete. Here is my first card.



I am not as happy with this one. I like the colors, and little girl feel to it, but I think there is something a little off in the execution. Oh well! I started this card off by stamping Lily - I Love Shopping by Rachelle Ann Miller for Stampavie. I colored her in using my copics and markers. I then layered on teal, purple, green and red card stock with two different DPs following the sketch. Using my nesties to create the scalloped rectangle. I popped off the main image and added some purple ribbon to the bottom. I think it will make a good back up birthday card, but my second version is the one I am really proud of.


For this card, I used this week's Color Challenge, color scheme again. I just love this color combination! I did the same steps as above except I used my snowflakes cuttlebug embossing folder to create the background paper. I then went over all the snowflakes with my versamark pen to give them some depth. I added a piece of organdy ribbon to the bottom and punched out two snowflakes in gray and blue using my Martha Stewart snowflake punch. I added some green rhinestones to the snowflake and followed up with some green rhinestones on the picture. This one I love. The colors are so festive yet cozy!

Okay, onto my ornament! It really is an ornament, I promise!! Maybe your tree has to be the size of the one at Rockefeller Center, but it is still an ornament. lol! I actually started this on Wednesday for the SUInk and More Whatchadoin' Wednesday Challenge which was to create an ornament for Christmas. (Side note: I am so excited!!! I am a featured customer on the SUInk and More blog!! Can you believe it!! I am so honored!) After I realized how big it was, I put it to the side for awhile and finally finished it this morning. I decided it could just be the tree's focal point. I mean every tree needs a focal point. I wanted to create an ornament like the ones I had when I was kid that were little scenes. Here it is.




I think if I make this again, I will add skylights so that the light can filter into the scene. I started this ornament off by creating a four by four open box. I then cut out one side with my scalloped rectangle nesties so that you could see inside. I added a couple of windows and pasted in some wallpaper. I then created cabinets and a shelf using the same open box concept and added some doors, a sink and door knobs. Then I stamped the girl, stove, and accessories from Kiss the Cook by SUInk and More. I colored them in with my markers and then placed them in my scene. I added a roof with some red card stock and drew on tiles. I punched a hole in the top to thread through some ribbon, so my ORNAMENT can hang. I then drew in some siding and finished off the windows adding trim. I added a touch of siding to the sides with my Martha Stewart edge punch and some Christmas Paper. I finished off the scene with some snow that I created with my goo punch and white paper. Despite the size I think it is really cute and sweet. It will be prominently displayed on our tree this winter, I mean how could you miss it even if you tried!! lol!

Alright, I am off to practice. I have put it off long enough. I have a little secret to share. I actually play the cello, and by play I mean, I played the cello for fifteen years growing up and haven't touched it in the last three. A friend of mine has asked me to play in her ensemble at church this weekend and I have agreed. I warned her that I am not very good. You would think I would be, since I went to college on a partial music scholarship, but as it turns out there were only two cello players in the whole school so they were kind of desperate!! So wish me luck. This will probably be the last time she asks me to play!

Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by today!!!

13 comments:

Valarie said...

Love the ornament. Looks very time consuming, but looks like it would be lots of fun to make. Good luck with your cello playing this weekend!

Jaspere said...

That is amazing. What a creative and fun project. Keep them coming.

MJ said...

Are you crazy! That must of been tons of work, how fun. I love all the details you added to this ornament. Fabulous. The cards are great too especially the second one, great colors. Thanks for playing in the Whachadoin Wednesday Challenge.

Jason Core Dumpter said...

Cute cards! The ornament is amazing!!

Laurie in MN said...

I am amazed that you recently started stamping. You're very talented.

Heather Schlatter said...

Janna,

This house is adorable! Did you come up with this all on your own or did you have a pattern or template? It is wonderful!!

Heather

Taylor said...

Such beautiful cards and an adorable ornament too! I love your coloring and the color combinations you put together! Thanks for playing the challenge!

Regina said...

These cards creations are FANTASTIC! A gorgeous take on the sketch!
This little house is so cute and very impressive! I love this little scenes!
I enjoy your creativity. Thanks for sharing!

Leigh OBrien said...

Janna! You are killin' me with all of these amazing projects. YOU ROCK! Love that you're featured on the SUINK blog too. Way to go, girlie!!!! Amazing amazing amazing stamping projects :-)

Fountain of Memories said...

Amazing job on the ornament. You are very talented

Paula Still said...

That ornament is totally adorable! And the cards are so cute!! Love the colors in both. It would be hard for me to choose which I like better.

Congrats on SUINK blog AND (drum roll) PinkCatStudio blog. WOW! You rock!!!

Suzanne J Dean said...

Beautiful work! Love the ornament! Big hugz for being in the customer spotlight on SUINK!

hugz,
Suzanne Dean

Unknown said...

OMG-- Seriously that is the cutest thing I've ever seen--- MJ sent an email out about coming to visit your site and I just hadn't been over yet-- I'm so glad I did now!! :)